Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hot Dog

Last night at the Dog was a scorcher, and June has only just begun! Man, come July I'll be pulling my skin suit out of a deep freeze on the start just to keep from blowing a gasket.

This night at Black Dog was a little extra nerve racking - with Jordan and Ray eye'in me up the moment we pulled in. The blogosphere was peppered with challenges at the Dog - Jordan vs. Me vs. Lunatic Biker. I get anxious enough before a race but, when you throw in a challenge like that, my ego and my stomach just can't make friends.....one wants to use the competition for more fuel, the other gets freaked out and wants to hurl. Either way, I had no idea of how this was all going to unfold.

Showing up with Hollywood, I was 10 from the end, so I had a good chunk of time to try and chill out. (I should have been drinking more water - lesson learned) By the time my start came I was sweating like crazy in the 80's temps and dry air. Jay was coaching me on not sprinting from the start, so I rolled out smooth, ramping up to a solid 21mph before the first turn. The first couple minutes were a struggle with my legs, but that's pretty typical. My legs just felt heavy and thick, so I thought I hadn't spun enough on the trainer pre-race. Once I hit the turn around with my legs still aching, I knew I wasn't doing good.

I struggled to keep the bike over 21mph (so I could try and beat my best BDTT time) and I just never got the thermometer to pop. I was riding like a freak, near rabid, drooling as I gasped for another lung full of dry air. Coming into the last 1/2 mile, I was about ready to fall apart - my throat felt as if it was coated in sand, my quads burned, and I just wanted to cross that finish. Hollywood cheered me on as I rounded the final turn, putting it all on my cranks with the last ounce of effort I could muster. I rolled the line and jumped off my bike - dry heaving on the side of the road. I asked Jay what it could have been that made me feel so terrible, and the only thing that I could think of that changed was a major decrease in fluids. More than obvious, he pointed out how hard I pushed myself....he was right. I beat my best time at the Dog! I did it in 19:13.0, 17 seconds off my time 4 weeks ago. I finished 1st of 5 in the Women's Stock Category, and loved it....aside from the pain. Jordan whooped up on Ray and I BIG TIME, finishing sub-19, and Ray was just over 20. The great thing was that all three of us got our own personal bests - so I guess we all win!!! Nice job, Guys!

As for the rest of the crew - Timmer kicked some butt with a 14:24, finishing 2nd to Doug Swanson who got the 2nd fastest time ever at the Dog. Hollywood was having a bad night - air bags didn't want to cooperate - so he sat up during the second 1/2. The rest of the results aren't up yet, so I mean no offense to leave anyone out. If only I had some gonads, then I'd just remember that shyte, and wouldn't have to wait for the MCF board to be updated.

And, to top of the night, Domino's delivers to parking lots!!! We sat around until dusk, destroying half a dozen greezy pizzas. Yum. All in all, Black Dog was a riot again. Not only has it opened the door to a hole new level of riding for me, but I've had so much fun making new friends.

2 comments:

JimmerC said...

You captured the essence of Black Dog perfectly in your race recap. Jordan sure likes you guys.

Lunatic Biker said...

Great post Kristy. The description of the legs/lungs is dead on. I need to have Jay help me get my bike more race worthy so I can bridge the gap between you and Jordan. I love the atmosphere and comraderie of the Dog.

Post Ride Recovery... At the ER

 Thursday night was supposed to be just a typical night out riding mountain bikes with my husband.  Just us, our single speed bikes, and the...