Monday, October 29, 2007

Red Barn Cyclocross

Here I am, sipping wine in front of the computer as I recap yet another action-packed weekend. Friday night started out with Jay, Timmer, Angie, and I hittin' the Cabooze to see Eddie Spaghetti & Shooter Jennings throw down some great Southern rock. The show was great & a ton of friends showed up - B-Rad, Karna, Cory, and Tim shared in the fun as Eddie & Jordan rocked out their country set to open for Shooter Jennings. Unfortunately, we had to get up early for a race, so we didn't catch all of Shooter n' the gang, but I loved what we did see.

First thing Saturday morning, Jay and I got up and headed north for the Red Barn Cyclocross Race. The course was so fun, flowing and twisting in and around the Christmas tree farm. Even though it was only in the upper 40's, the sun was warm and inviting. There was a costume contest for the racers, but I was all out of ideas (heck, it took me until Thursday to come up with my idea for my Saturday night costume - and no, I couldn't have worn it to the race). So, there I was, pretending to be a Silver Cycling TEAM member, not just a CLUB member. hehehe I loved everyone's costumes, though, and just wish I had been more inspired.

Red Barn was one of those races that reminds you how much you love the sport of cycling...at least for me. Standing there in the sunlight, music playing, people laughing, riders having FUN...I remembered what made me fall in love with cycling in the first place. It's such a great atmosphere with such wonderful people, that you can't help but feel like part of the group. Sure, people collide, fight, or disagree sometimes, but it goes away, just like the scrapes & bruises. People get to know each other, become friends, and offer encouragement.

Take me - I'm really not all that good, but I feel like a million bucks out there when I hear my friends cheering me on! There's nothing better in the world! Red Barn was just that, too...people were roaming around the course simply enjoying the day and each other. I really hope we have more races like that to come. Thank you so much, Gopher Wheelmen and friends , for putting on such a great time! And thanks to the officials who did an AMAZING job! I don't think I thank you enough, and you deserve all the thanks in the world! Let me know if you like cookies - I love to bake!

Anyways, to help describe the fun, here are some pics & stats:It was brought to my attention after the race that it was slowing me down when I was waving at my friends during the race - it's not a beauty pageant, ya know! Well, as you can see, I was just out there having a blast. And, I like to give my buds a wave to say thanks for cheering - if it makes me slower, so be it. : ) I somehow still busted butt for 5th, even if I was having fun.
My kid bro - he's getting better every week he comes out! I am so proud of him!Zach, Princess Jordan, & me (congrats to Jordo for 1st place and a great costume!)Jay charging up the run-upJay looking rad cornering! He took 11th!



And, as promised, Jordan's Fairy Princess Dance

Thanks for a great time, everyone! Out of 42 races this year, that's defnitely going down as one of the Top 5 in my book!
Kristy Kreme

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pix and hilarious video of Jordo. He is definitely okay with his feminine side!!!! He had a blast racing this weekend!! Thnx for being sooooo good to him!!
Carla

Kristy Kreme said...

Carla,
You have a wonderful family! I bet you're quite proud of both your kids! (and Jimmer, of course) Thanks for always smiling, you're a joy as are the rest.
I only hope to be able to follow in Jordon's footsteps someday - even if he is younger than me!

S1 said...

You looked like you were having a great time racing, that's the way it should be. I'll follow suit.
Liked the video too. See you this weekend.

Lunatic Biker said...

A little waving never hurt nobody

Post Ride Recovery... At the ER

 Thursday night was supposed to be just a typical night out riding mountain bikes with my husband.  Just us, our single speed bikes, and the...