Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ringin' in the New Year in Cable

No, I wasn't sitting around watchin' late night TV....we were kickin' it resort-style at Lakewoods in Cable, WI. Jay, Randy, Teri, Kaitee, Al, and I headed up NorT for 3 days and 2 nights of woods, snow, and sleep at one of our fav resorts.

We arrived at our destination around dinner time, all quick to unpack and unwind. Jay and I made our signature burritos for dinner before we sauntered off to the main lodge to hit the bar for some barley sodas, Buck Hunter, and noisemakers. Not only did we find funky hats and cocktails, but we were surprised w/ a 2 person band fully backed up w/ a drum machine, and all the snowmobilin' WI'ers you could want. Sure, we stood out pretty well as obvious city folk...what, with our stylishly unmatched pieces, rock n roll belts, tattoos, and hair extensions.
But hey, at least we left the "orange sports bra over black turtleneck" and Garfield sweatshirts back in the room....heck, we could've been mistaken as locals. Don't get me wrong - I'm not dissing a thing - that's the exact reason I love going to places like this...the people watching and interacting is AWESOME! And how crazy was it when the bartender asked if we were from MN just cuz we said our Please and Thank You's!?!
After the standard countdown and toasting, we wrapped up the night with a round of Pop Culture Trivial Pursuit, keeping us up til 4:00AM.... it made New Year's Day that much lazier...
I was the first out of bed at 11:00 and the rest were slow to join me for coffee and holiday screwdrivers. Without even realizing it, 4 hours went by as we sat around the kitchen table slowly waking up and talking up a storm. Once we came to our senses, we bundled up and took on the elements, trudging through the foot-deep snow in a hike into the woods simply following deer tracks.We followed the tracks til we reached the ice of Lake Namekogin and followed them back just in time for dinner. We kept it a little more low-key that night, all still coming back down from a long New Year's celebration, curling up w/ a movie & pj's earlier than I would've imagined, but was so happy to do.

With a little bit of energy left, Jay and I headed over to Telemark on the way out of town Friday afternoon to get a lil ski in on the Birkie Trail. It was my first time on the trail and I was definitely impressed. On top of it being absolutely beautiful, we nailed it big time as the groomers lead the way around the trail, making it so Jay and I could lay down fresh tracks around every bend of our ski.

On top of that, I got to bust out my new bicycle GPS that I got for Christmas (since I've been off the bike recovering for the last month, this was my first real chance to break it out). It was so much fun!!!I still can't believe it's 2009....yowza. All the laziness of December has come to an end. Back to the bump and grind and training for the start of the cycling season.

Amped for O-Nine,
Kristy Kreme

No comments:

Post Ride Recovery... At the ER

 Thursday night was supposed to be just a typical night out riding mountain bikes with my husband.  Just us, our single speed bikes, and the...