Saturday, May 5, 2012

Adventures in Orthodontia

Back in October, I decided to embark on a brand new adventure.... Braces!  Okay, so not the metal-mouth, teeny-bopper lookin' ones.  I got started on Invisalign, clear trays that make slight adjustments to your teeth over time.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was one of the best decisions I've ever made!

I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Deville...  To help the teeth move, attachments are added to some teeth to act as levers, giving the trays more leverage to move your teeth.  Dr. Weber said it was going to take 6 months, but I didn't truly believe him.

Every 6 weeks I went back into Dalseth Family & Cosmetic Dentistry to check to make sure I was wearing the Invisalign trays 22+ hours a day and that my teeth were cooperating and moving as planned.  Sure, the first couple days of each new set of trays were a little painful, but I just planned out my meals accordingly so crunchy tacos fell on days at the end of the two weeks, and pastas and soft foods on tender days.

It really did come in handy this winter, though, keeping off the winter weight gain!  Pretty hard to graze all day when you have to remove the trays to eat and brush your teeth to put them back on.  Last year I gained 10lbs. during the winter, this year... -1lb.

Six months finally came and I was nervous that they were going to extend it out longer.  To my surprise, Dr. Weber said it was a success!  With a little contouring to even out the wear of my teeth from their old positioning, removal of the attachments, and a permanent retainer on the inside of my bottom teeth, I'm done!  Finito!  I've got a retainer to wear all day for the next 6 months, but it's clear and fitted to my teeth and I can barely see it.  SOOOOO COOOOOL!!!!  

Before:


After:


Thank you, Dr. Weber & Miss Holly!!!!  You are the best!  I am so happy I did it.  Now I just get caught smiling at myself in the mirror at work every day.  Not a bad problem to have, eh?  :oD

Smilin' Away, 
Kristy Kreme

No comments:

Post Ride Recovery... At the ER

 Thursday night was supposed to be just a typical night out riding mountain bikes with my husband.  Just us, our single speed bikes, and the...