Saturday, September 8, 2007

Dakota 5-Oh!

Since I've obviously strayed from writing the last couple weeks, I must've been busy, right?? Well, on top of finishing the TT/Road race season, still settling into my new role at work, and trying to have a social life, I got a monster tooth ache. It was pretty quick, getting into the Dentist, only to find out that I needed a Root Canal...ASAP....and just before my 4 day Labor Day vacation in the Black Hills none the less. Needless to say, I didn't really feel like writing much while I was all hopped up on pain killers.

24 hours after a surprisingly easy RC, Jay and I rolled out to One on One to meet up with the rest of the Mpls Mafia for a weekend of Mtn Biking, camping, and partying at the Dakota 5-0 in Spearfish, SD. 14 of us loaded into a pair of passenger vans, ready for the 10hr drive ahead of us. Luckily, enough Vicodin will let you sleep thru the majority of it, so I really didn't notice a thing. We rolled into town late, set up camp in Perry & Kristie's front yard, and started off a fabulous weekend. There had to have been 30-some Mpls peeps in Spearfish last weekend, out for some good rides and good times.

On Saturday, Geno drove us up to the top of the course so we could get a feel for the 27 mile downhill. Not 2 miles in, and I was already off my bike....walking the new Moto Rapido down a gnarly, rock laden downhill for a good 5 or 10 minutes before I even attempted to get back in the saddle.....3 laps at Theodore Wirth didn't really prepare me for this. Jay and I had a great time riding together. The mountains were so beautiful and the trail was amazing. All in all, it was 4 days of wonderful times and memories. Here are some of the hightlights.....

Jay and I stopped near the top for a water break. The view was spectacular!

Trevor in a thrift-store favorite

Burns was the talk of the town, finishing the 50 miler in tight Wranglers and cowboy boots!
Yep, he got the fab mug for Best Dressed!

Jay leading out the Kids' races

Yep, still madly in love!

We rode to the whisky bar to cash in some Steak bets from the race.

After a long adventure, we stopped for a group photo.

Our weekend in Spearfish was unforgettable! A huge thanks to Perry & Kristie for setting up the race, but especially for letting us set up Tent City in their front yard. It was a pleasure to meet and spend time with you both, and I can't wait to see you all next year!

Still flyin' high, Kristy Kreme

No comments:

Post Ride Recovery... At the ER

 Thursday night was supposed to be just a typical night out riding mountain bikes with my husband.  Just us, our single speed bikes, and the...