Saturday, September 12, 2009

Another lovely Laddie's adventure

Jay and I spent Labor Day weekend up at Maplelag, enjoying the Laddie's Mountain Bike Stage Race. If you've never been, you have no idea. The phrase "Is this heaven? No, it's Maplelag" always comes to mind when I'm there.

We drove up Friday night to make sure we didn't miss a minute of the action. Faster than we imagined, we got there before the ever-so-generous Richard's family had turned in for the night and were able to give thanks for the weekend ahead.
They set us up in one of the lodges in our own lil 'honeymoon suite'. As the moon lit the sky above, we quietly unpacked our things and turned in for the night. Come Saturday morning, we were wating to hear the breakfast bell so we could fill our bellies before the 3-mile time trial ahead. Technically, my pre-time-trial breakfast only consists of coffee, but I just couldn't resist a couple bites of the Richard's homemade French toast! The sun was warm and bright as we lined up for the opening race of the weekend. Surrounded by friends and their families, I knew it was going to be a great time, no matter how fast or slow I rode.


At this point in the year, by heart and soul has been crying out for some time in dirt. As my eyes bobbled around in their sockets, I tried to steer the Frankenbike through the single track. The road-fitness paid off big this year - securing me a 4th place finish in the women's Sport category. With a couple hours to kill before the short-track races, I joined a number of other rider's for Kyia's skill clinic. It was awesome!!! Thanks a ton, Kyia!

After some practice, we headed off for lunch and readied ourselves for the crit-style short-track race. Mixed with the men, my start was not hte best. Again, thanks to the road fitness, I was able to make up distance by maintaining an overall faster lap speed than a number of riders in front of me. I worked my way up to fourth, but never was able to close the 4-second gap the leaders had on me. There really is something to 'out of sight, out of mind'. Had I ever really known how truly close they were, it might have finished differently. But, all in all, fourth place was an AWESOME finish for me.
Jay rode great in each race as well, flying turn for turn by me with ease. Eric and Sam Oftedahl joined him by taking top five finishes in almost every race - Sam rocked top 3 every time if I remember right!!!

Unfortunately for me, the next day's cross country event was full of obstacles that were well above my experience. Still, I finished. Albeit 20 minutes after the leader, I finished. Finishing 6th in the cx-country, I took 5th in the overall and couldn't have been more satisfied. I put forth a good hard effort, got dirty and bled a little along the way, and learned a couple new tricks while I was at it.

With the rest of the 612-crew hanging out for another night of good food and friends, Jay and I decided to stay one more night. We joined the group for a FABULOUS roast beef dinner, followed by a full moon lit bonfire. The Kenwoods group invited us to their campsite for a low-key fireside after party. I don't think I've laughed that hard in ages. Thanks!!!

After one last night in our quiet suite, Jay and I rose for breakfast and good-byes. We happily beat the Labor Day traffic during our morning drive and returned home fully relaxed and content. Huge thanks to the Richard's family for running such a wonderful home-away-from-home and making a 3-day weekend so memorable.

Kristy Kreme

1 comment:

Jay Richards said...

Great having you guys again. Thanks for the support.

Post Ride Recovery... At the ER

 Thursday night was supposed to be just a typical night out riding mountain bikes with my husband.  Just us, our single speed bikes, and the...