Monday, December 30, 2019

30 Days and Counting...

This isn't the full story. Not yet.  However, each time I have posted about this Sober journey, I have had a new friend reach out to me in confidence to share they've been considering the same path of an alcohol-free life.  So this one's for you... those who've reached out and to those that may be asking themselves the same questions that were bouncing around in my mind for so long.

Today marks 30 days with no alcohol and I honest to goodness, no joke, not joshing ya in any way, am the happiest, lightest, joy filled person that I can ever remember being.  During the first week of December, I told people my goal was to go 30 days and figure it out from there, but the response never truly felt authentic.  Deep down inside I knew the decision in my heart was final... I am going the distance and never want to go back.  Why?  Here are the highlights from the first 30 days on everything I've already gained and lost along the way.....

Hmmm, where should we start?  Gains? Or do we kick out the bad?

Here's what I have LOST in the last 30 days living alcohol free (some of which I previously had no idea was even related to my drinking life):

  • Crippling self-loathing and depression
  • Anxiety
  • Indigestion and heartburn
  • Night sweats
  • 13 POUNDS & 4 inches around my waist
  • Acne and redness of my face
  • Heart palpitations
  • Cravings
  • Fatigue
  • Laziness / avoiding to-do's
  • Regret and inner battles
  • Hangovers and headaches
  • Not remembering the night before
  • Feeling like a disappointment
And, if it's even possible for things to get BETTER than that list of shit being kicked out the door.... this is the list of all the things sobriety has given me in the last 30 days:
  • Childlike joy
  • Giggles (last night Jay & I giggled over 'back-scratchers for 5 min. before falling asleep)
  • A quiet mind
  • Deeper connection with my husband
  • Energy
  • Confidence
  • More $$ in my bank account for BIKES! (seriously, 5 weeks w/o wine = new dropper post, people!)
  • Better sex
  • Making memories
  • Being 100% present at holiday gatherings, with family and friends
  • Improved sense of smell and taste
  • More time in the day
  • ALL THE FEELINGS
  • Clean house
  • Cheaper tab at dinner
  • To-do lists DONE 
  • Books read, journal pages filled, blogs written, laundry folded, dishes washed, true connections, easier decision making, being a happy sober cab, running doesn't actually suck all that bad....
  • Feeling lighter... free
  • Smiling so friggin' big and real 
I mean seriously look at this girl!.....


Looking over these lists, it reaffirms what joy fills my heart and there's no doubt that this is the lifestyle for me to reach my truest potential.  I'm on fire!  And, surprisingly, it was easy.   Albeit, this wasn't the first attempt but my goal is for it to be my last.  

I want to give an amazingly heart-felt virtual hug and high-five to Jay who has been here for every struggle, effort and stumble... I would not have made it here without your undying support and unconditional love.  To my family who have given me support, both open and silently in the background, you are so important to me. To my friends who have loved and supported me, I'll still need ya every step of the way.. and to the universe for flooding my vision with podcast links, blogs, books (thank you, Annie Grace!) and Insta-posts... it has all come together at exactly the right time!  

Curious for yourself?  DM me, pull me aside at a race or party, call/text me... I'm here for ya!  Below are some of the most awesome tools/links I've found most useful in these last 30 days in case they can help even just one person who may need them.  

"There's nothing as unstoppable as a freight train full of fuck-yeah" - Jen Sincero

Headin' into 2020 light a freight train...
Kristy Kreme

Books:
"This Naked Mindbook and Podcast - Annie Grace

Podcasts:
"This Naked Mind"
"Recovery Happy Hour"
"Sober Girl Society"
"Seltzer Squad"
"Recovery Elevator"




No comments:

Post Ride Recovery... At the ER

 Thursday night was supposed to be just a typical night out riding mountain bikes with my husband.  Just us, our single speed bikes, and the...